I follow a social media account called @naptimenation (owned by a blogger/business owner/mom of three/bad ass) and just the name of this account is such an accurate depiction of stay-at-home or working-from-home mom life. We live for nap time, that ever elusive time of day when baby goes down and leaves us with time to do work or chores. I’ve got a love/hate thing going with naps. Love them for the peace and quiet; hate them for the solitary confinement I experience during them.
If your baby is still taking two naps a day, do you ever feel totally trapped in your house when you know there are so many cool, awesome, exciting, or just necessary things you could be doing? Here are some of the random things I wish I could do while my baby naps. Come, daydream with me for a moment.
- Go for a run. Nothing crazy, just a stress relieving jog would suffice. I’d even settle for a walk. Or a yoga class. Or a boxing class. Who am I kidding, I’d take anything!
- Go out for coffee or lunch with a friend. I’d host someone but would rather melt into and become one with my filthy floor than invite someone into my pig pen of a home on a random Tuesday.
- Nap. Okay, this should be number one. Daytime naps are the bomb.com but who else feels incredibly guilty for lying down while your partner is at work and there’s just so darn much to be done around the house or for work? Guilt and adulting keep me up and moving. Stupid, stupid adulting.
- Shop. What would you give to roam a mall baby free, with no real purpose? What would you do to leisurely browse through make up in Sephora or try on tops in lululemon or wiggle your booty into pants at H&M?
- Get my eyebrows waxed. Yep, really, I’d undergo this voluntary pain instead of do chores around the house while little man naps. These caterpillars aren’t grooming themselves.
- Play guitar. I’m not one to keep perfect silence for the sake of a nap but the thought of waking up G for the sake of very badly playing songs I learned in college just isn’t cool.
- Pop in on my husband at work to say hi/spy. I don’t know why this is so intriguing to me but maybe it’s the unknown arena of his office space. Maybe it’s missing working in an office with coworkers who became friends. Maybe it’s just the joy of disrupting productivity.
- Get a massage or visit the chiropractor. Can we say dream come true?
- Get groceries. Or pretend to. A friend of mine recently said she felt like she was in solitary confinement while two of her kids were sick with pneumonia so her parents baby sat and she escaped prison for a while. Her choice of activity? Grocery shopping. She said she just roamed up and down the aisles looking at nothing, breathing in the freedom. LOL! I can so relate.
- Eat at a restaurant alone. Remember the days when you’d be too self conscious to sit alone and eat somewhere? Those are no more. I’d love to sit and quietly inhale a burger or pizza (yes, A pizza – we’re dreaming, here) somewhere alone while perhaps shamelessly stalking D list celebrities on Facebook or Instagram.
- Lie on the beach with a book and a Corona. Okay, a friend gave me this one and I’m using it, because doesn’t it sound A-MAZING?! Ah, life in Florida… This dream is too close for comfort.
What’s on your nap time wish list? Share your dream in the comments!