Your baby’s first year of life is bathed in newness. The high of bringing a new life into the world, the deliriousness of next-to-no-sleep, and the excitement of watching all of the firsts he or she achieves. Before you know it, her second birthday is creeping up on you and you’re left wondering how you got to this new place of tantrums, the exercising of free will, and oh yes, more tantrums.
In honour of my baby boy Gunnar’s upcoming second birthday I thought I’d draw upon all of the awesome things about having a two year old.
9. Their babbling starts to become clearer and they begin to pronounce things properly, forming legitimate conversational pieces like “Don’t do that!” “I’m scared.” and “Oh, shit, it fell.”
8. Everything is exciting to them. And literally, you are the coolest, most interesting, funniest individual on the planet to them. It’s an ego booster every day.
7. Their hilarious all-body-encompassing sprinting.
6. Brainwashing him into saying “I love you, Mommy” and hearing his sweet little voice actually say it before bedtime.
5. Their willingness and need for snuggling. It just gets better and better.
4. Their tantrums. They’re full-bodied, all-energy-consuming experiences.
3. Head wounds. They play so hard that they constantly have head injuries – it doesn’t help that their heads are still half the size of their little bodies thus getting in the way of everything. We call Gunnar Head Wound Harry, and he earns that name every day.
2. They still listen to commands like, “Dance!” or “Run!” but somehow “Stop!” and “No!” fall on dead ears.
1. His love is untouched, unconditional, and given without judgement. Two-year-olds’ raw emotions are worn on their filthy little sleeves, and we love them for it.